Skip to main content

I can't hear you, what are you even saying??

So God and me, we have this deal you see. I tell him I'll listen to him and trust his plan, but he just has to be very clear and very loud when telling me what to do. You know, because maybe sometimes I'm a little hard of hearing, have headphones on, am a little stubborn, or I'm not listening and just didn't realize it. So I ask him to be loud. Like, really loud, so his voice is louder than all the crap  fluttering through my brain. Sometimes it takes a hot minute, but usually the message gets through, and then I thank him for the help in scooting me along his path.

But lately, I'm just not gettin' the message. The last few weeks, either in quiet times, casual reading, Facebook, everywhere, the same verses keep popping up.

Dear brothers and sisters,[a] when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing.
James 1:2-4

I know God is trying to tell me something, so I try to turn the volume down in my brain and listen a little closer...nope, still don't get it. Sit. Ponder. Pray. Verse pops up again. Strain to listen better. Ponder. Pray. Nope, still don't get it. I'm left sitting here with a thousand questions that I just rapid fire at God, are the troubles my current status, this whole cancer thing? Or are there more troubles on the horizon? Or am I overthinking it and the troubles are the every day stresses of life, and I'm just doing a really bad job at handling them? Consider it an opportunity for great joy...okay, I know sometimes I ride the struggle bus with this, but I'm trying, I'm really trying. Am I not doing good enough, am I doing it wrong? How is my faith going to be tested? I thought that was the only part I was maybe kinda doing right lately, this whole faith thing? Or is it that my endurance isn't fully developed. What do you even mean by endurance?? Earthly or my faith? Hello? God? I don't get it, could you be a little louder, please...

Then I'm just totally lost in my own thoughts, spinning wildly out of control, and I think at this point God probably up and walked away because clearly I'm not talking to him anymore I'm just talking out loud to myself. Hence why I ask him to be clear and loud. Really loud. Because it's a hot mess inside my head. Then one of the many voices in there screams "Shut! Up! I'm trying to listen!" to get all the other voices to quiet their damn mouths so I can get back on track to trying to listen to God. But they're all still shooting of questions, still picking it all apart, still screaming and interrupting each other. Ugh, fine, I'll just sit. Ponder. Pray...and yet I felt nowhere near closer to understanding what it is I'm missing. I can't hear you, God, what are you trying to say?

Fast forward to this month, I don't even remember what page or email I was reading, but there it was, same verse popped up again. I throw my hands up, toss in the towel, I got nothin' God, I'm obviously completely lost on this one. I have absolutely no idea what you're saying. So I take a deep breath, close my eyes, and just listen to the silence. The silence some might take as a bad sign, that maybe God has given up trying to tell me, decided I just wasn't going to listen and really did walk away. But if there's something you in your heart think is imperative your kids hear or understand, would you just give up on them? Walk away? Consider them a lost cause? I'm guessing the answer is no, that's why I know God hasn't given up on me. Because I'm his daughter, and a good father never considers their daughter a lost cause.

The silence isn't him giving up on me, isn't his frustration at my not listening so now he's giving me the silent treatment. The silence is his gift. Because we have this deal, you see. I tell him I'll listen to him and trust his plan...but he sees me struggling, fighting to quiet the noise...so he turns down the volume for me. He gives me the gift of silence. So I can listen. So I can feel his words press against my heart...and now, I listen to the silence. Not questions flying through my head, no frustration, no voices yelling over each other. Just silence. His silence. My gift, so I can hear him, and I thank him, for the help in scooting me along his path.



Comments

  1. “The silence is his gift.” What great insight He has gifted in that discovery and work He has done within you to say it so confidently.

    Sometimes soothing and many times deafening ... always His gift.

    i’m always tempted, in reading what you’ve written, to go get an extra pen in case this one runs out while i’m writing, but in this particular sacred space all i can manage to do is listen. An intended compliment in the first case, as engagement is a hallmark of a meaningful voice. And as to the latter, it just feels like i am being asked by that still, small Voice to take my shoes off and to simply listen and pray.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Be still, and know that I am God.'

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Being Mad at God...

  I've spent the better part of 2023 being mad at God. Mad because I didn't like how my life was turning out. Mad that I couldn't control that. Mad that He wouldn't heal me, fix me, give me my health back. Mad that I didn't understand why He wouldn't grant me that, to be healed. Mad that for the better part of the last year it's felt cold and lonely, as if a great distance stood between me and God. Only I didn't know if He put the distance there, or I did. I'm not good at a lot of things in life, but I'm good at distance, at building walls. I had to for so long, to survive living with those that were supposed to love me, and once I no longer had to build walls, I can't seem to learn how to stop. So there I was, countless times, laying bed bound, or on the floor about to pass out again, crying out in the darkest of dark, cold, lonely silence - crying out for healing that still hasn't come, for understanding of why my life has to hurt so ba

The path I didn't plan on taking...

Mom was 36 when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I remember on her short treatment days she let me come with her, because by that point I did everything with her. Doctors appointments, tests, treatments. Where she went, I went. Whether she wanted me to or not. The oncologist administered the treatments at his office, in this dingy little room in the basement that looked like death row for cancer patients. Ugly pleather recliners lined the walls of the small room, you could hardly breathe through the dense desperation in the air. As if everyone was just waiting. Waiting to die. At that age, I thought that would never happen to me. As I grew older, I feared that would be me. When I turned 36 I was horrified it would be me; thinking that would be the start of my impending doom. My death sentence. The year I would be diagnosed with breast cancer. But that birthday came and went without a diagnosis, and I almost felt victorious, like I had made it. I had beat this thing that had at

I look like a cancer patient

It's not like I didn't know it was coming, like somehow I would be spared the inevitable. Every day, as I run my fingers through the shaved fuzz on my head, I look at my hand wondering, is today the day? Is today the start of another transformation? Is today the day I look like a cancer patient? And as I looked down at an empty hand, I exhaled. Today wasn't the day. Today, people would only still wonder, was I a patient, did I shave my head in support of a patient, was I a feminist trying to prove a point? They could only wonder. The other night while my husband was at his bible study I was sitting on the patio, taking in all the fresh air I can before the air turns too cool to sit outside, forcing me indoors. I took a long breath, ran my hand across my head, and looked down at my palm, covered in hair. Today was the day... I blew the handful of fuzz off my hand, and then pinched a small cluster and pulled. I felt nothing, it didn't hurt, but there between my finger