Skip to main content

2023, ready or not here I come...

 

It's been over a year since my last post. Over a year of, per usual, making no progress. Stalling out, making excuses, making more excuses, of knowing what I'm supposed to do but too damn scared to do it.

June 24th, 2021 I was baptized, because I wanted to leave that life behind me. Because I wanted to be all in, to fully embrace God and the life He had in store for me, to not waste a moment of this second chance he's given me. In celebration of this moment, a good friend had given me a bracelet that said "I left it in the water." I loved that bracelet, I wanted it to be my mantra, the cute little saying to remind me that I had left my former life, and baggage, behind me. That I was stepping into this new life, this second chance, a new, brave, faith filled woman.

But it didn't take long for the luster of possibility and change to wear off, revealing the truth, that I wasn't a new woman, and I hadn't left any of it in the water. Well, maybe I left some of it in the water, but most of it I dragged out of the water and have been carrying it with me since. All the baggage I pretend isn't there, all the hurt, pain, fear, open wounds and deep scars. Every last bit of it, trailing behind me, looming over me, taunting me. It's a bad, bad beast I couldn't shake, because in full disclosure, I didn't want to deal with it. Dealing with it, means dealing with it. Digging up the old hurt, anger, all that pain that's woven me into this mangled mess that I currently am. On June 24th, 2021, I ventured down the path and realized how big of beast it was going to be, that shit terrified me, and I didn't take another step forward.

My parents did me no favors in showing me how to deal with emotions, struggles, disagreements, pretty much anything. How you dealt with anything, everything, was by not dealing with anything. You smoked the emotions away, drank worries and troubles away, stuff the feelings down with food. Bills stressing you out? No problem, bag em' all up and stuff them in a closet you don't use and pretend they're not there. People you don't quite know how to deal with? Kiss their ass until they like you, despite the fact that you don't even like them. Have thoughts or ideas on something? Too bad, no one cares, keep that shit to yourself. The simple truth is, they showed us how to avoid everything, bury it, ignore it, cover it up with smiles and poorly shaped facades and addictions a plenty.

I started down the path of change and growth years ago. And stopped. Because to change, I had to deal with the past. Acknowledge it. Dig it up. Work through it. And I have no idea how to do that. I didn't then, and I still don't today. I was reading a few different books, going through some lessons in different bible studies, and while all unrelated, they all headed to the same place. Dealing with the past, and forgiveness. For someone who doesn't know how to process emotions, that's a lot of emotions to process, dude. The main things I had been reading set two tasks before me, a Hurt Letter, and a Forgiveness Letter.

The hurt letter, you write (but never send) to the people in your life that have hurt you the most. You tell them what exactly hurt you, how it has affected you, changed you, broke you. The forgiveness letter that you write (and again never send), you then forgive that person, show them grace, love, and then let it go. And really let it go. Both letters, you burn, leaving that pain in the past, the pile of ash left to be carried away by the wind, is the forgiveness and moving on. It's been carried away, taken from you, lifted away. After reading those tasks, I set the books down, leaving them to collect a years worth of dust. I resorted to mom's go-to move - stuff them into something you don't use and forget about it. 

Sometimes, I would feel brave and venture down the forgiveness path and pick up a different book, or read a different article, or say a different prayer. I'd give myself a little pat on the back, look at you Darian, being brave, reading about change or forgiveness, good job! Until it leads to the part of actually taking steps to achieve said things. Cue fear...cue being paralyzed by it....nailed it. Commence ignoring it for the duration of the year. Nailed it again.

Within the last few months, in talking with my son about anger I said "Anger is really heavy to try and carry with you all the time." In another conversation about how other peoples bad or hurtful behavior had changed him I asked him "Why would you let them, these people you'll never see again, have SO much power over your life to let them change you...forever. They don't deserve that power over your life, so don't give it to them." And somehow, until that very conversation, I hadn't realized that I was doing exactly that. Letting people from my past, some that I will never see again and some I see all the time, have control over my emotions and my life. Why was I doing that? No person deserves that power. And again, I was reminded of the letters I never wrote...my hurt...and forgiveness...

A new year is here, when everyone lights a fire under their ass for all the shit they didn't accomplish last year. Excuse me, guys, I'd like to squeeze onto that bandwagon, pardon me, coming through. Some say it's like a breath of fresh air, rejuvenation, a resurgence of empowerment over your life and what you make of it. I have no resolutions, no grand plans, no plans to chase this illusive idea of finding purpose in your life. I have a slightly intimidating set of tasks before me, and plans of focus for the year. First items on the list...the letters. I will write them while sober. Without cigarettes (I quite in 2019). Without eating myself to death. I will do this, without a coping mechanism. Without grasping onto a new vice. I will do this, filled with fear, having no idea how I will work through it, but I will do it. Without waiting another year to think about it.

Because anger and pain, is really heavy to carry all the time. And I don't want people to have that much control over my emotions and my life. Because I want to feel the calming peace of forgiveness. Because as this new year lay at my feet...ready or not, here I come.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Mad at God...

  I've spent the better part of 2023 being mad at God. Mad because I didn't like how my life was turning out. Mad that I couldn't control that. Mad that He wouldn't heal me, fix me, give me my health back. Mad that I didn't understand why He wouldn't grant me that, to be healed. Mad that for the better part of the last year it's felt cold and lonely, as if a great distance stood between me and God. Only I didn't know if He put the distance there, or I did. I'm not good at a lot of things in life, but I'm good at distance, at building walls. I had to for so long, to survive living with those that were supposed to love me, and once I no longer had to build walls, I can't seem to learn how to stop. So there I was, countless times, laying bed bound, or on the floor about to pass out again, crying out in the darkest of dark, cold, lonely silence - crying out for healing that still hasn't come, for understanding of why my life has to hurt so ba

The path I didn't plan on taking...

Mom was 36 when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I remember on her short treatment days she let me come with her, because by that point I did everything with her. Doctors appointments, tests, treatments. Where she went, I went. Whether she wanted me to or not. The oncologist administered the treatments at his office, in this dingy little room in the basement that looked like death row for cancer patients. Ugly pleather recliners lined the walls of the small room, you could hardly breathe through the dense desperation in the air. As if everyone was just waiting. Waiting to die. At that age, I thought that would never happen to me. As I grew older, I feared that would be me. When I turned 36 I was horrified it would be me; thinking that would be the start of my impending doom. My death sentence. The year I would be diagnosed with breast cancer. But that birthday came and went without a diagnosis, and I almost felt victorious, like I had made it. I had beat this thing that had at

I look like a cancer patient

It's not like I didn't know it was coming, like somehow I would be spared the inevitable. Every day, as I run my fingers through the shaved fuzz on my head, I look at my hand wondering, is today the day? Is today the start of another transformation? Is today the day I look like a cancer patient? And as I looked down at an empty hand, I exhaled. Today wasn't the day. Today, people would only still wonder, was I a patient, did I shave my head in support of a patient, was I a feminist trying to prove a point? They could only wonder. The other night while my husband was at his bible study I was sitting on the patio, taking in all the fresh air I can before the air turns too cool to sit outside, forcing me indoors. I took a long breath, ran my hand across my head, and looked down at my palm, covered in hair. Today was the day... I blew the handful of fuzz off my hand, and then pinched a small cluster and pulled. I felt nothing, it didn't hurt, but there between my finger