Skip to main content

Purpose within the pain....


I met someone today. In the smallest of moments that we don't even think about, a moment you see as just an inconvenience in our day, so we rush through it without being present in the moment so in the end, we've missed the moment entirely. We're somewhere else, thinking about a meeting, errands, ourselves, some mundane detail of our lives that always feels more important than the person in front of us. It's a blink. A whisper of a moment. It makes your day look like swiss cheese, with all these blank voids of the day that were missed by not being present in it.

I'm an introvert, if you take even 60 seconds to read and learn about introverts you'll find 2 major notable points - one, no extrovert will ever be capable of turning an introvert into an extrovert. Stop that, we don't like that. It's rude to treat us as if we're somehow broken because we don't operate like you. And two, we find superficial small talk very draining, mentally, emotionally, and even physically. So I would rather have absolute silence, or,  deep, pure transparency in a real conversations. So I always try to skip the superficial stuff. Perhaps that's how I find myself in moments like this, the whisper of a moment, where you find meaning and opportunity instead of fluff.

I was at the doctors office for a B12 injection, to try and fight fatigue from my conditions, and the nurse asked where I get the injection. I could have replied with one word to answer the question and be out as soon as possible. But embracing transparency, I said where I needed it due to the lymph node removals I've had. And just from that simple answer, it opened a door, and I got to meet someone today. The real her, not the mask we put on, not the lighthearted tone to hide the hurt. I got to see the real person, in it's purest form. I got to hear her journey of loss, cancer, and the fight of clawing out of the depths of post cancer life. 

In my own journey, I've battled. I'm beaten, broken, and worn down from my journey. I've been angry at God, forgiven God, forgiven myself. I have no illusions of grandeur, but I know that there are blessings in every day, just some days you have to look really hard to find them. But they're there. And I also know there is purpose. My life....phew....so many parts have been more than I could ever begin to deserve. And so many parts are just.....it's been a hard life, and I'm tired. Some days, it's really hard to pick yourself up and even face it, because it feels like there is just so much hurt and pain in it, pointless pain, and I just want it to be better. Normal. Happy....happy....

I often get stuck in the question of why. Why me? Why this? Why now? Why won't it end?  Why....you're just on such a desperate journey to get out of the crap and into the sun, that it can consume you. It is so tempting to be mad about the pain in my life, to let my disappointments of my life devour my thoughts. But if I did...would I have met her? Would I have been so focused on my own thoughts and pain, and being pissed at the reason I was even at the doctors to begin with....that I wouldn't have even seen her in that moment?

When life sucks, it's easy to see so many things you want changed, wished never happened, wish would go away, healing that never comes. But what would happen if something got changed? If I didn't have these health problems, I wouldn't have been there today. I might have never met her. I might have never been given the blessing to see her, in her purest state, and let her know that she is seen, heard, and not alone. I see you...

Seldom do you get the opportunity to see any reason or hints as to why your life has had the path it does. Why you're where you are, right now. Why it would be a bad idea to go back and change anything at all. Because then I wouldn't have been there today, for her. You see, there are tiny hints, all the time, little whispers of a moment that show you some purpose within your pain. And I had that today. I've had that a lot of days, seen purpose. I had always said that if God was able to reach 1 person, then all of this is worth it. And she reminded me of that, and that I guess I still believe that. Because even though this has been such a hard road, I'd still stay on it. There is purpose within the pain. And maybe that's where I'm supposed to be all along, down in the muck. I don't know. But would I want to miss those moments with people along the way, for the chance to save myself all the pain? I don't think I could do that, see someone else in pain to spare myself the pain I've had. I'd much rather see someone lifted up because of my pain.

Purpose, within the pain. Blessings, during the shit show. I am exactly where I'm supposed to be, even though it's honestly kind of a terrible state....if it's where I'm supposed to be, I don't want to miss anything because I'm busy complaining. So, life, point taken, I'll quit fighting the wrong fights, eyes open, heart open, ready for the next battle....


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Mad at God...

  I've spent the better part of 2023 being mad at God. Mad because I didn't like how my life was turning out. Mad that I couldn't control that. Mad that He wouldn't heal me, fix me, give me my health back. Mad that I didn't understand why He wouldn't grant me that, to be healed. Mad that for the better part of the last year it's felt cold and lonely, as if a great distance stood between me and God. Only I didn't know if He put the distance there, or I did. I'm not good at a lot of things in life, but I'm good at distance, at building walls. I had to for so long, to survive living with those that were supposed to love me, and once I no longer had to build walls, I can't seem to learn how to stop. So there I was, countless times, laying bed bound, or on the floor about to pass out again, crying out in the darkest of dark, cold, lonely silence - crying out for healing that still hasn't come, for understanding of why my life has to hurt so ba

The path I didn't plan on taking...

Mom was 36 when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I remember on her short treatment days she let me come with her, because by that point I did everything with her. Doctors appointments, tests, treatments. Where she went, I went. Whether she wanted me to or not. The oncologist administered the treatments at his office, in this dingy little room in the basement that looked like death row for cancer patients. Ugly pleather recliners lined the walls of the small room, you could hardly breathe through the dense desperation in the air. As if everyone was just waiting. Waiting to die. At that age, I thought that would never happen to me. As I grew older, I feared that would be me. When I turned 36 I was horrified it would be me; thinking that would be the start of my impending doom. My death sentence. The year I would be diagnosed with breast cancer. But that birthday came and went without a diagnosis, and I almost felt victorious, like I had made it. I had beat this thing that had at

I look like a cancer patient

It's not like I didn't know it was coming, like somehow I would be spared the inevitable. Every day, as I run my fingers through the shaved fuzz on my head, I look at my hand wondering, is today the day? Is today the start of another transformation? Is today the day I look like a cancer patient? And as I looked down at an empty hand, I exhaled. Today wasn't the day. Today, people would only still wonder, was I a patient, did I shave my head in support of a patient, was I a feminist trying to prove a point? They could only wonder. The other night while my husband was at his bible study I was sitting on the patio, taking in all the fresh air I can before the air turns too cool to sit outside, forcing me indoors. I took a long breath, ran my hand across my head, and looked down at my palm, covered in hair. Today was the day... I blew the handful of fuzz off my hand, and then pinched a small cluster and pulled. I felt nothing, it didn't hurt, but there between my finger