Skip to main content

Day 14 of the hostage situation

Day 14 of the hostage situation, despite the best efforts of her mind and body to get her to succumb to just wasting away into a depressed, cookie stuffed, pile of a sobbing mush...the prisoner has escaped 3 times. Once to Hobby Lobby, once to church, and once to run errands with her husband. Daily, efforts are made within her heart and mind to break her down, but as of today, she has not yet caved. Although she did purchase a can of Pringles she has absolutely no intentions of sharing with anyone. We consider this a step in our favor...give in, become sad, scared...cave....

People ask me a lot, how I'm doing, and I always only say "I'm doing okay." I think for a couple of reasons. One, because I am okay. Two, because there aren't many people asking that question that really, really want the TRUE answer. Like, if I just unloaded on them everything going through my mind I can almost guarantee they'd just stand there, staring at me, speechless. Because they just want to hear that I'm okay, because it reaffirms that they're a good person because they remembered to ask the lady with cancer about how she's doing. And three, I say I'm doing okay but I'm really still trying to decipher how I'm actually doing. Because in case you haven't noticed yet, it's kind of a hot mess in my brain sometimes. Like, whoa. Slow your roll, brain.

I think, overall, I am doing okay. Or at least trying to be okay. Trying to adjust. But every time I look in the mirror, I still don't really see me. There are pieces of her there, but they're broken, and don't fit together like they used to. And this weekend, I have to go out and actually face the world, in my new, broken body. My diagnosis has been no secret, I have had unbelievable amounts of attention and help along the way. But as an introvert, that also terrifies me. Everyone knows. Everyone.

So this weekend, when I step into an area filled with hundreds of people who either know me or by now have heard of me...I'm terrified. I'm stepping into that room a completely different woman. Yet, in some mangled form, the same woman. I will be completely visible to everyone, and completely invisible. I know that I wouldn't have made it this far without the support I've been shown, but I don't know how to step into the room like I'm the person I was the last time they saw me. Because I'm not. Physically or mentally.

I worry that they'll stare, that I'll have a wardrobe malfunction and my drains will pop out where people can see them. In a three hour long surgery, I have now become the exact same insecure girl I was 25 years ago. Terrified that people will look at me. Terrified to be seen. Terrified at what they'll say about me. In some twisted slap in the face, after decades of fixing and mending that girls heart and bringing her into the light...happy, whole...I am right back where I used to be. Terrified. Ashamed. Disgusted. And I'm afraid everyone will see that, because I always wear my inside feelings on the outside. I am not that woman they knew, she's gone, forever. Gone from them, and from me.

I am okay, because nothing is wrong with me. I am in transition. I am no longer what I once was, but not yet what I am going to be. Growth, change, the unknown - it's scary. But as someone I love has recently reminded me, I am simply becoming a butterfly. Everything I once was, is all being used and changed to help me become what I will be - what I was meant to be from the very start of it all. But I had to go through this entire process to get there.

It's day 14 of the hostage situation, current status of the prisoner - God's building her wings, so one day she can fly...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Being Mad at God...

  I've spent the better part of 2023 being mad at God. Mad because I didn't like how my life was turning out. Mad that I couldn't control that. Mad that He wouldn't heal me, fix me, give me my health back. Mad that I didn't understand why He wouldn't grant me that, to be healed. Mad that for the better part of the last year it's felt cold and lonely, as if a great distance stood between me and God. Only I didn't know if He put the distance there, or I did. I'm not good at a lot of things in life, but I'm good at distance, at building walls. I had to for so long, to survive living with those that were supposed to love me, and once I no longer had to build walls, I can't seem to learn how to stop. So there I was, countless times, laying bed bound, or on the floor about to pass out again, crying out in the darkest of dark, cold, lonely silence - crying out for healing that still hasn't come, for understanding of why my life has to hurt so ba

The path I didn't plan on taking...

Mom was 36 when she was diagnosed with breast cancer. I remember on her short treatment days she let me come with her, because by that point I did everything with her. Doctors appointments, tests, treatments. Where she went, I went. Whether she wanted me to or not. The oncologist administered the treatments at his office, in this dingy little room in the basement that looked like death row for cancer patients. Ugly pleather recliners lined the walls of the small room, you could hardly breathe through the dense desperation in the air. As if everyone was just waiting. Waiting to die. At that age, I thought that would never happen to me. As I grew older, I feared that would be me. When I turned 36 I was horrified it would be me; thinking that would be the start of my impending doom. My death sentence. The year I would be diagnosed with breast cancer. But that birthday came and went without a diagnosis, and I almost felt victorious, like I had made it. I had beat this thing that had at

I look like a cancer patient

It's not like I didn't know it was coming, like somehow I would be spared the inevitable. Every day, as I run my fingers through the shaved fuzz on my head, I look at my hand wondering, is today the day? Is today the start of another transformation? Is today the day I look like a cancer patient? And as I looked down at an empty hand, I exhaled. Today wasn't the day. Today, people would only still wonder, was I a patient, did I shave my head in support of a patient, was I a feminist trying to prove a point? They could only wonder. The other night while my husband was at his bible study I was sitting on the patio, taking in all the fresh air I can before the air turns too cool to sit outside, forcing me indoors. I took a long breath, ran my hand across my head, and looked down at my palm, covered in hair. Today was the day... I blew the handful of fuzz off my hand, and then pinched a small cluster and pulled. I felt nothing, it didn't hurt, but there between my finger